Arrival, Housing, and Transportation
Arriving in Vancouver, Washington
You are strongly advised to arrive at the Portland International Airport (PDX). You must make your own arrangements for airport pick-up. If you are staying in a homestay, a host family can pick you up if you make arrangements in advance.
Clark College Campus
Clark College's beautiful campus is located on 101-acre Vancouver Central Park. Click on the image to the right to open a gallery of campus photos.
- Airport shuttles and taxis are available at PDX outside the baggage area.
- No advance reservation is required.
- Cash or credit card payments are recommended.
Please see website(s) for current fare information.
Blue Star Airport Shuttle
Telephone: +1 (360) 573-9412
White Van Airport Shuttle
Telephone: +1 (503) 774-9755 or toll free
+1 (877) 774-9750
Telephone: +1 (503) 888-2928
Please see website(s) for current fare information.
Telephone: +1 (503) 333-3333
Telephone: +1 (360) 694-1234
Yellow Taxi Cab Company
Telephone: +1 (503) 272-8765
International Student Housing
The International Programs office offers assistance to international students when arranging for housing. All students are encouraged to live with a host family when they first arrive unless they already have friends or family in the area.
NOTE: Clark College does not have dormitories or on-campus housing.
ANDEO Homestays (Host Families)
A homestay is a unique opportunity to practice English, learn about U.S. culture and family life, and share your culture. All ANDEO homestays include:
- Airport pickup from Portland International Airport (PDX)
- A carefully screened family that is ready to welcome you into their home and include you in their daily lives
- A comfortable room with access to a study area
- All meals (self-serve breakfast and lunch, dinner with family)
- Easy access to public transportation. The average bus commute is 30 to 45 minutes
- Information about your host family prior to departure
- Orientation materials
- ANDEO staff members who are always available to help you make the most of your homestay experience
Cost Per Term: $3,272
Placement Fee: $415 (non-refundable)
To apply for a homestay, please contact ANDEO after you have been accepted to Clark College and at least 45 days prior to your arrival. You must be at least 18 years old to participate in a homestay program.
For more information about ANDEO homestays, email email@example.com or call +1 (503) 274-1776
House Sharing (Rooms for Rent)
Some people in the Vancouver community are interested in renting a room in their home to an international student. If you are interested in house sharing:
- Contact the International Programs office at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive information about rooms for rent.
- Check the housing board in the International Programs office after arrival at Clark College.
Apartments for Rent
There are many apartment buildings near campus and in the Vancouver community on the local bus line. Because of the difficulties in signing a rental agreement before ariving in the U.S., we recommend renting an apartment after arrival. Here are some ways to find an apartment:
- Email email@example.com for a list of apartments
- Check the local newspaper: The Columbian – Vancouver, select "rentals"
- Check the Housing bulletin board in Gaiser Hall at Clark College
- Ask other students at Clark College
- Search online rental websites:
Rental costs range from $400 per month to $800 depending on location, number of bedrooms and amenities. In addition to the monthly rental fee, you must also consider other costs, which may include:
- Electricity, water, and sewer
- TV and internet service: https://www.inmyarea.com/
- Furniture, kitchen goods, etc. (Most apartments in the U.S. are unfurnished, so you must buy furniture and household items.)
C-TRAN Public Bus Service
C-Tran (Clark Country Transportation) operates public bus service in the Vancouver, Washington, area and connects with Portland, Oregon, busses. Schedules and route maps are available online at C-Tran.
- You cannot get a student ID card until you register for classes, which happens after orientation and testing.
- You are advised to buy either a day pass (valid for a whole day) or only one or two rides until buying a BackPass.
To get a BackPass
- Visit the Clark College bookstore (after registering for classes) to obtain a student ID card ($9 per student).
- Pay for the BackPASS ($15.00, limit 1 per student per quarter. Limited quantities available at this price, per quarter and are issued on a first come, first served basis; $34.00 thereafter.)
NOTE: Student ID cards are not required by the college, but provide free or discounted admission to college events and discounts at some local businesses, including the Marshall Center swimming pool.
Driving a Car in the U.S.
If you live in Washington or Oregon state, and want to drive a car, you must have a Washington or Oregon state driver's license. If you purchase a car, auto insurance is required. Below are resources to help you:
WA State Department of Motor Vehicles: www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense
Driver's training schools and testing locations: www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/test-locations/locations.php?county=clark
Mandatory auto insurance: www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/insurance.html