Enrolling as a Dreamer

Step 1: Meet with a specialist

Make an appointment with our specialist to learn more about how to pursue your education while undocumented. Family members are welcome to attend this appointment with you. Se habla español.

To make an appointment, email rpitkin@clark.edu.

Step 2: Apply for admission

Fill out the Clark College Admission Application, not the international student application.

If you need help applying for admission as a Dreamer or have questions, contact Rosalba Pitkin at rpitkin@clark.edu.

Step 3: Apply for financial aid

Washington state’s Real Hope Act has expanded eligibility for the Washington State Need Grant to low-income, non-citizen students who meet the program’s eligibility requirements. To apply for that aid, fill out the WASFA (Washington Application for State Financial Aid) form. Learn more about eligibility and complete the WASFA at readysetgrad.org.

Upon answering the initial questions on the WASFA application, you will be re-directed to file a federal FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form if you meet these eligibility requirements instead.

If you need help filling out the WASFA or FAFSA, or have questions about either form, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

For more information about financial resources available to Dreamers—including information about scholarship funding specifically for Dreamers—please visit our Paying for college as a Dreamer page.

Step 4: Determine your placement

You must have determined your placement before you register for classes, so that you can be sure you are in the classes that best meet your current academic level. Placement options are available at www.clark.edu/assessment. You will not be asked for your immigration status during placement.

Step 5: Attend an orientation

New students and some returning students are required to attend an Orientation before registering their first term at Clark College. Due to COVID-19, student orientations are currently taking place online. Visit www.clark.edu/orientation to learn about orientation options. You will not be asked for your immigration status at this event.

Step 6: Register for classes and pay tuition

Registration can be done online through your MyClark student account. For registration questions, visit the Registration webpage.  

Meet with your navigator or advisor if you’re unsure which classes you need.

Payment can be done online or by phone at 360-992-2177 (Cashier's office).

Students also can enroll in the Student Tuition Easy Payment Plan (STEPP), an optional payment program offered at Clark College.

In-state tuition through Senate Bill 5194 (formerly House Bill 1079)

In 2003, House Bill 1079 allowed eligible undocumented students to pay in-state tuition at state colleges and universities if they meet certain guidelines. Effective July 25, 2021, Senate Bill 5194 expanded those guidelines, making it easier for all Washingtonians, including undocumented students, to meet residency requirements for in-state tuition and state financial aid. You may be eligible for in-state tuition and state financial aid if you:

Don’t have a high school diploma? Visit our Transitional Studies page to learn how you can earn one at Clark College.