Residency Classifications

Washington State

A resident student is one who is a U.S. citizen or an eligible immigrant with visa classifications A, E, G, I, or K. To qualify as a resident, the student must:

  1. Be financially independent from parents and have established residence in the state of Washington primarily for purposes other than education for a period of one (1) year immediately prior to commencement of the term for which they plan to register, or
  2. Be a dependent student, with one or both parents maintaining a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington for at least one (1) year prior to the commencement of the term for which they plan to register.

Residency in the state of Washington is evidenced not only by physical presence in the state, but must also be evidenced by having a sufficient number of permanent Washington documents for the twelve (12) months prior to enrolling, in order to demonstrate the intent to remain in Washington permanently.
Acceptable evidence of Washington residency can include:

  • Valid Washington driver's license
  • Voter registration
  • Washington vehicle registration (not title)
  • Purchase of primary residence, in which student resides
  • Lease agreement, or monthly rent receipts
  • Permanent full-time employment
  • Bank accounts (checking and/or savings)

Special regulations apply to some Washington higher education employees, Washington National Guard members and their dependents domiciled in Washington, and to military personnel and their dependents stationed in the state of Washington.


Active Duty Military

Active duty military stationed in the state of Washington and their spouses and dependents qualify as residents for tuition purposes. At the time spouses or dependent family members apply for admission, documentation such as a copy of the photo ID or other appropriate documents, must be presented.

Washington National Guard

Washington National Guard members, their spouses and dependents, qualify for resident tuition as long as they are domiciled in Washington and provide valid documentation.

Residency Affidavit

Effective April 2022, Washington state law was changed to qualify certain students who are not permanent residents or citizens of the United States as eligible to pay resident tuition rates. To be eligible to sign this affidavit, you must:

  • Earn a high school diploma, GED, or diploma equivalent before your first term at the college determining residency, and
  • Maintain a primary residency in Washington for at least 12 consecutive months immediately before your first term at the college determining residency. The Washington residence must be for purposes other than college. If you take any courses at another Washington college during the prior 12 months, you cannot have taken more then six credits in any given term. If you exceed that limit you must prove that you have a Washington residence for non-college reasons.

Residency Affidavit Form


Changing Residency Status

Students wishing to change their residency classification must submit a Residency Reclassification Questionnaire and supply required documentation. Any change in classification must be based upon sufficient written evidence maintained in the files of the Admissions Office. If approved, the reclassification takes effect the term such evidence is filed, provided the application for change in classification is submitted within thirty (30) days following the first day of the term for which the application is made. If the questionnaire is submitted after thirty (30) days, the reclassification takes effect the next term.

The evidence provided must qualify the student as a resident prior to the first day of the term. The burden of proof is on the applicant.


Quick Links