Faculty Support and Resources
Canvas and eLearning Technologies Professional Development for Faculty
Training and instructional design related to the use of instructional technologies is available through the eLearning department. For more information, contact eLearning representative, Kathy Chatfield, at email@example.com.
Regularly scheduled workshops include synchronous and asynchronous sessions on topics including Canvas, teaching strategies for online and hybrid and remote modalities, applying Quality Matters standards to course design, and other topics relevant to effective use of instructional technology and improving the online teaching and learning experience. If you are just getting started with professional development at Clark College, begin with the eLearning 101 workshop at the Registration link below.
Quality Matters at Clark College
Clark College is committed to meeting Quality Matters standards for its online and hybrid courses. The college has invested significant resources to develop certified QM trainers to ensure highly trained faculty and to implement the standards for the benefit of the students through the course design. The Quality Matters program supports the college's commitment to excellence in teaching. For more information see our Quality Matters page.
Canvas and Academic Technology Support
Faculty may reference the Academic Technology Resources shell in your Canvas account or directly contact Academic Technology by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org on topics such as the following:
- Technical issues with Canvas (or file a ticket 24/7/365 by clicking Help and Report a Problem on the Canvas site)
- Canvas user accounts, enrollments, and specialized Canvas shells for organizations and/or departments
- Canvas Apps or LTI's, integrations, features information and support
- Multimedia production facilities and equipment for faculty using Canvas
- Academic Technology's private streaming cloud service for instructional video and audio files
- Zoom Cloud Video Meeting information and support
- Panopto lecture capture information and support
- EvaluationKit information and support
- Respondus products support and licensing
Faculty should direct students with Canvas issues to the online Canvas ticket system accessed via the Help link on the Clark College Canvas site. Students, faculty, and staff may also be directed to the TechHub in Cannell Library for on-campus support, via phone, or via email.
Faculty also have additional information and resources here:
- Faculty specific information including the Online Faculty Planner, step-by-step directions for common Canvas workflows and equipment checkout
- Canvas Quick Draw directions to set up a quick face-to-face course site
- Canvas integrated ticket system, accessible via the Help menu and Report a Problem
- Smart Penguin for Canvas tutorials for all users, Test Taking Tips page, posts about how to prevent issues, and resources for you and your students
- Smart Penguin Twitter feed for Canvas events, outages, and online user information alerts
Suggested Schedule of Canvas Events
To prepare for a course prior to new quarter shell availability
- Create a "preshell" in your Canvas account (Start a New Course button in bottom right of Canvas dashboard)
- Import or create content to set up your course
- NOTE: shells you create can never have students in them, so use the Import tool to copy over to your new quarter shell
- Email the Instructional Design team for assistance with course design
After a new quarter shell has been delivered to your Canvas account
- Proceed with copying course content with the Canvas import tool
- Email the Instructional Design team for assistance with converting due dates automatically
- Publish your Canvas course shells to make them available to students - By 8:00am on the first day of the quarter
At the end of the quarter
Record official student grades through ctcLink. Contact the Registration department for more information about posting grades via
NOTE: Specific dates for important academic technology activities are available on our Online Faculty Planner.