High School Dual Credit Programs

Clark College offers many ways for you to earn college credit while enrolled in high school. Running Start offers you the opportunity to take classes at Clark College that can also be applied to your high school credits. CTE Dual Credit (career technical classes) and College in the High School (general education classes) allow you to earn college credit while taking classes at your local high school. The AP and IB credits are based on tests you take through independent testing services.

Running Start

Running Start is a statewide partnership between community and technical colleges and local high schools. The program allows high school juniors and seniors to attend the college tuition-free and have the credits count for both high school and college credit. College credits are paid for by the high school, saving families money as students begin their college careers. 

  • Tuition free. Students pay for other related costs (books, class-based fees and transportation).
  • Located at the college.

Visit our Running Start webpages for more information on how to enroll. 

CTE Dual Credit 

CTE Dual Credit* allows high school students to earn college credit in their high school career and technical education (CTE) classes without leaving their high school campus. CTE Dual Credit used to be called Tech Prep. CTE classes can include health care, technology, and mechanical classes.

  • Tuition free.
  • Located at the high school.
  • Credits apply only to professional-technical degrees and certificates

Find out more about how you can earn dual college credit in your high school classes. 

*CTE Dual Credit was formally known as Tech Prep

 College in the High School

College in the High School programs provide college-level academic courses to 10th, 11th and 12th grade students. Courses are taught at the high school, by high school teachers, with college curriculum, college textbooks, and oversight by college faculty and staff.  

  • Students pay fees, but typically far less than regular college tuition.
  • Students may also pay for textbooks.
  • Located at the high school.

Find out more about how you can earn college credit in your high school classes. 

 Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) Credits

All Washington state community and technical colleges award credit for students who achieve certain scores on the Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) exams.

  • Students pay exam fees.
  • Located at the high school.

Find out more about Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) at Clark College, and visit your advisor for more information about transfer in credits, records evaluation, credit review, transcript review, transferring in coursework.


If you are looking to earn a high school diploma or a GED from Clark College, we have programs available for you, learn more by visiting the transitional studies department.


 Program  Offered by Taught by Credit earned by
Advanced Placement High School High School Teacher Passing an exam
College in the High School High School High School Teacher
(trained by Clark College)
Passing college course
Career and Technical Education
Dual Credit
High School High School Teacher Passing course 
(some may require a B or better grade) 
International Baccalaureate High School High School Teacher  Passing an exam 
Running Start Clark College Clark College Faculty Passing Clark College course