Advising FAQs

Click on the question to reveal the answer

1. What do I need to bring to an advising appointment?

  • Come prepared to advising sessions with educational plans, all unofficial transcripts, previous advising documents, and questions. New students will require placement testing prior to meeting with an advisor. 
  • Review the class schedule ahead of time and be prepared to discuss classes you'd like to take. 
  • Be aware of required prerequisites and courses needing departmental approval. Understand your program requirements by researching the online college catalog and/or advising worksheets
2. What is my Global PIN?

  • PIN = Personal Identification Number. In combination with your SID, your Global PIN allows you to access student records online and register for classes.
  • New students' Global PINs will be set to their six-digit dates of birth (MMDDYY). Upon logging in to the Current Students page for the first time, students will be asked to change their Global PINs to a number other than their date of birth (the new PIN may not begin with a zero).
3. Do I have a specific advisor or can I see anyone?

You should meet with an advisor for your specific area of study. Please see Advisor Contact Information for details and contact information.

4. How do I contact the Advising Department?

The general phone number for the advising department is (360) 992-2345. You may also find contact information for advisors on Advisor Contact Information. Please allow 2–3 business days for a response.

5. Can I make an appointment to see an advisor in the Advising Department?

Yes, appointments are available for students every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. To make an appointment, please visit our Advising Office or call (360) 992–2345.

If you have scheduled an appointment with an advisor and cannot make it, please contact us to cancel the appointment so we can open that available time to another student. Students who miss two appointments without prior notice will not be permitted to schedule another appointment and must utilize walk-in services.

Every Monday and Thursday during fall, winter, and spring quarters, the Advising Office will be open on a walk-in basis (Mondays and Thursdays 8:00am–6:00pm). Summer quarter hours will be posted on the Advising homepage two weeks prior to first day of summer quarter classes:

6. What happens if I fail a course?

You should be aware of the consequences of failing grades. Failing grades may impact your GPA and academic standing as well as jeopardize funding sources. If you fail a course, please see an advisor and/or a Financial Aid staff member to determine the repercussions of the grade you received.

Please review the Clark College Academic Standards Policy to understand how grades affect your academic standing.

7. How do I access my transcripts?

  • You are able to access your unofficial Clark College transcripts through the Current Students tab on the Clark College website. You must have your Global PIN number to access transcripts.
  • To obtain an official transcript, follow the directions on this page
  • To access transcripts from another school that have not been sent to Clark College, you must contact the school that you previously attended.

8. I want to transfer to a four year university, but don't know where to start. What should I do?

To begin the transfer process, research four-year institutions to identify programs you are interested in and admission requirements. University websites and catalogs typically contain all the information you need to get started. After identifying several options, it is a good idea to sit down with a transfer advising specialist and develop an educational plan that includes all transfer steps.

As students prepare to transfer to another school, they must consider timelines and coordinate their time at Clark with when they plan to transfer. The Transfer Timeline provides information about what should be happening at different points in your academic career.

9. What is the difference between financial aid suspension and academic dismissal?

Financial aid suspension refers to your financial aid funding and ability to pay for classes. If you are suspended from financial aid you must speak to the Financial Aid Office to find out what you need to do to reinstate your financial aid.

Academic dismissal refers to the Clark College Academic Standards Policy and is related to your ability to register for courses. Students who are placed on academic dismissal must go through a special process to be able to register for courses.

10. How do I register for my classes?

Students register for classes online through your MyClark page. Please view this YouTube video that walks you through the steps to register for classes online. 

11. How do I get an override code for a class that I would like to take?

You can only receive an override code if you have successfully completed the prerequisite(s) for the course you are interested in taking. Advisors can provide an override code for students who can show they have completed the prerequisite(s) from another school. In order to obtain an override code, you must submit official or unofficial transcripts showing the courses that fulfill the prerequisite requirements for the desired course.

12. Where can I find a list of classes and course descriptions?

The quarterly class schedule has information about all of the courses that are offered during a particular quarter, including course descriptions. Our college catalog provides a full list of course offerings, including descriptions and information about which quarters a course will be offered.

13. Where can I find my degree or certificate requirements?

You can find degree or certificate requirements in the Clark College catalog. Degree/certificate requirements are also listed on advising worksheets.

14. How do I know if a course has prerequisites?

The course description, available in the schedule of classes and also in the college catalog, lists any prerequisites that are required to get into a particular course. The notes section will indicate eligibility for the course.

15. Can I drop off a request for a degree audit or education plan?

Unfortunately we are not able to allow students to drop off requests for degree audits or educational plans. We want the opportunity to meet with students in person to explain these documents and answer any questions. There are several ways that you can connect with an advisor to get your questions answered:
  • Make an appointment with an advisor on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Fridays by visiting the Advising Office or calling (360) 992–2345
  • Meet with an advisor on a walk-in basis Mondays and Thursdays  
  • Email an advisor by contacting the appropriate division

16. What happens if I drop a course?

Dropping a course may impact funding for students who are receiving financial aid. The impact will differ based on several factors including the timing and your past academic record. You should meet with someone in the Financial Aid Office to determine the exact impact that failing a course will having on your funding.

Withdrawing from a course can also impact your overall academic plans. An advisor can explain how it will impact your long-term plans.

17. How do I know if my course(s) will transfer?

Completing the Associate of Arts Direct Transfer Agreement (AA–DTA) ensures that all 90 college-level credits will transfer to many four-year colleges and universities in Washington State and in Oregon. This degree will transfer as a "package" of credits for certain degrees, meaning that general education requirements will be considered satisfied through successful completion of the AA–DTA. If students transfer with the AA–DTA, they will generally be admitted to junior standing; however, in order to be accepted into some specific majors, students may still need meet to admission/program requirements (ex: prerequisite courses, portfolio review, interviews, tests). To learn more about the AA–DTA and other transferrable degrees, please visit our degree worksheets website.

If you are attempting to take courses to fulfill particular requirements for a transfer school, you can sometimes access a course equivalency database often found on university websites. You can also contact the Admissions Office at the transfer school to determine equivalency. Clark advisors can also provide direction and advice in terms of determining course transferability. You should keep in mind that the receiving institution has the final say when determining equivalency of coursework.

18. How do I find open classes?

Use the online schedule of classes. When looking through the online schedule of classes, you can click on the four-digit item number, and class information is displayed that includes the "Class Status"–CLOSED or OPEN (and if open, how many seats are available). Please view this YouTube video that walks you through the steps to register for classes online. 

19. What do I do if a class I am interested in taking is full?

Students at Clark College are able to register at different times based on their status. Continuing students register before new, former/returning, and transfer students. Also, students with more credits register before those with fewer credits. Students are able to determine their own registration access date/time by visiting the Current Students tab. Often classes will fill and students have the option of adding themselves to the wait list or seeking instructor permission once classes start.

If it is prior to the first day of classes, be persistent and try to register for the classes you want or need. Depending on how early in the registration cycle it is, you can try to add your name to the waitlist for classes (see below to learn more about wait lists). Continue to check–and try to register for the classes that you want several times each day leading up to the start of the quarter. You can use Schedule Planner and Web Registration through the second day of classes.

If classes have started for the quarter, you can try several strategies. You can register online (or in person) for any open seats through the second day of the quarter, even if the class has met. If a class you want is still full on the first day, you can try attending the first class (or first few days of class) to try to receive instructor permission to add the class by receiving his or her signature on the appropriate registration form.

Beginning on the third day of the quarter, instructor permission is required to add any class (except late-starting classes, which are those that begin after the first week of the quarter). You will not be able to add any classes through online registration.

It is important to have alternative class choices each quarter, and to be prepared with several schedule options when you register. If you have multiple options planned, you will have the most success in registering for an appropriate schedule for your academic goals.

20. How does the waitlist process work?

Some classes have waiting lists available after the class fills up. If a class is full, and you try to register for it, you may be given the option to add yourself to the waitlist. First, you must confirm that you want to add yourself to the waitlist. Then, it is your responsibility to monitor your status on the waitlist by logging into the Current Students tab, and selecting "Waitlist Inquiry." From the Waitlist Inquiry link, you will be able to see if your position on the list has changed, if you are enrolled in the class, or you can remove yourself from the waitlist.

The waitlist process ends two Fridays prior to the first day of class for the quarter. If you have not been enrolled into the class from the waitlist by that time, you will be deleted from the waitlist and will need to find alternative classes, or continue to try to register for the class. If a seat becomes available prior to the start of the quarter, you can register for it online through the second day of the quarter. If the class remains full, you can attend the first day of class to try to receive instructor permission (by signature) on the Registration Form.

Some instructors may choose to capture the names of students on waitlists for their classes, and honor that waitlist when providing permission during the first week of the quarter. However, this is not a guarantee; use of the waitlist after it ends is completely at the instructor's discretion.

We have an online information available that walks through the waitlist process.

21. How can I change my schedule?

If you would like to change your classes after the quarter begins you have several options. Students are able to continue to add courses online through the second day of the quarter if seats are available. Students can drop classes online through the fifth day of the quarter.

If it is the third day of the quarter or later, you can only add classes in-person and with permission from the instructor. If you would like to change sections of a class, you must communicate with the instructor of the section you would like to switch to in order to receive permission. Then you must complete a Registration Form, including the class information of the section you want to add, receiving the signature of the instructor for the class you are adding, and including the information of the section you are dropping (no signature required). You must turn your completed form into the Registration office in Gaiser Hall.

Classes that you drop from your schedule after the 10th day of the quarter will appear on your transcript as a "W." A "W" does not affect your GPA. If you do not wish to have a "W" on your transcript, you must drop your class prior to the 10th day of the quarter.

Dropping classes from your schedule after the refund deadlines may result in you paying for classes you do not want to attend. Students who have medical circumstances that require them to withdraw from classes after the deadlines or who are called to active military duty may petition for a refund at the Registration Office.

Students should be aware of Important Dates & Deadlines associated with registration procedures, such as the implications for withdrawing from a class at different points in the quarter.

22. What happens if I miss class during the first week of the quarter?

If you fail to attend one or more class sessions during the first five days of the quarter, you may be dropped from the class. However, not all instructors drop students from classes when students don't attend. If you miss any classes during the first five days, you are responsible for verifying your enrollment status. It is your responsibility to drop yourself from any class that you do not plan on attending. You will be held responsible for any tuition that was paid by you or any agency (including Financial Aid) for classes you do not withdraw from. If  you are dropped by your instructor from a class you do not attend within the first five days of the quarter for non-attendance, you will receive a full refund of tuition and fees if due.

If you are not able to attend your classes on the first day due to an emergency, you should contact your instructor to discuss your options. If you are unable to reach your instructor, you should contact the Instructional Unit or the Office of Instruction. The phone number for the Office of Instruction is 360-992-2291.

23. How do I apply for graduation?

Students must submit an application for program completion in order to receive their degree or certificate at Clark College. Degrees and Certificates are not automatically awarded. Degree application must be made no later than the tenth day of the quarter of expected degree completion. Students must complete the Graduation Application (available in Advising Services) and return it to Advising Services in Gaiser Hall.