Clark at the Fair
Join Clark College at the Clark County Fair August 5-14, 2016
Clark College will be at the Clark County Fair this summer as part of this year’s fair theme of “Science Fun.” Clark College was invited to participate in this year’s theme to highlight what the college is doing in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) prior to the opening of the new STEM building on campus this fall.
As part of the college’s presence at the fair, faculty and staff will lead hands-on demonstrations of various STEM activities in which children and fairgoers can participate. Representatives from the college’s Automotive, Computer Science, Biology, and other academic programs are scheduled to attend along with student clubs like the N.E.R.D. (Not Even Remotely Dorky) Girls, a student group focused on getting younger students involved in engineering. Additionally, Oswald the Penguin will be on hand for photos most afternoons and some evenings.
For New and Interested Students
For those interested in attending Clark, the $25.00 application fee will be waived for the first 50 applicants each day who apply at the fair
For Current Clark Students
The college also will have staff available during the fair to answer questions about available programs, GED courses, Running Start, financial aid, and more. Staff also will be available to assist current students with registering for fall classes, looking up records, and other student support needs.
For Clark Alumni
Current students and alumni and students will be able to stop by the booth for special giveaways and drawings for prizes.
Schedule of Events
All activities take place in the college’s exhibit area in South Hall 1 and are free with fair admission. Scheduled events include:
- Teeth and Technology: The Clark College Dental Hygiene program demonstrates modern ultrasonic methods of removing tartar or calculus from teeth. Fri, Aug. 5: 10:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m., 11:30 a.m. – noon, 1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Science Fun with the N.E.R.D. Girls: Clark College’s N.E.R.D. (Not Even Remotely Dorky) Girls lead hands-on activities like building balloon-powered pinwheels and demonstrating Newton’s third law of motion. Sat, Aug. 6: 11:30 – noon, 1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Pharmacy Innovations: Learn about new, high-tech ways of compounding pharmaceuticals from Clark College Pharmacy Technician faculty. Sun, Aug. 7: 11:30 – noon, 1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m., 2:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Fri, Aug. 12: 11:30 a.m. – noon.
- The Science of Sourdough: Learn all about fermentation when Clark College baking instructor Alison Dolder explains
how sourdough is made. Try some delicious sourdough pancakes and take home a little
sourdough starter of your own. Mon, Aug. 8: 10:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m., 1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Sat, Aug. 13: 11:30 -
noon, 1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Download Sourdough Pancakes recipe and care instructions.
- POKE-A-MAN!: Faculty from the Clark College Phlebotomy program will demonstrate how to draw blood from a model arm. Participants can use a centrifuge to make their own aliquots from imitation blood and plasma. Tues, Aug. 9: 11:30 a.m. – noon, 1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m., 2:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Simulation Technology and Nursing Education: Meet the “Sims,” the lifelike automatons used by Clark College nursing students in the college’s state-of-the-art simulation lab to practice procedures ranging from tracheotomy to childbirth. Wed, Aug. 10: 10:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m., 11:30 a.m. – noon, 1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Sun, Aug. 14: 11:30 a.m. – noon.
For more information about the Clark County Fair, visit www.clarkcofair.com.