Cannell Library Chimes is an electronic resource for information and ideas to support teaching and learning at Clark College.
Number 5, November 6, 2001
Artist Quentin Robbins will be reciting "The Cremation of Sam McGee," the Robert Service poem on which Quentin based a collection of 12 acrylic paintings which are currently on loan to the library. The paintings are installed on the north wall of the first floor, in the periodicals area. This informal recitation will take place on Sunday, November 11 at 3:00. Plans are underway to host a reception later in the year.
New Online Resources
- The online version of CQ Researcher, a popular reference tool for students seeking information about "hot topics," is now available to on-campus users. The online version includes coverage of the weekly issues from October 1991 to the present. The library is still maintaining the CQ Researcher in print (Call number: Ref H 35 .E35).
- With the IT Pro Collection for Information Technology, students have access to the full contents of hundreds of books. The IT Pro Collection covers more than 90 technology-related topics, including networking, programming languages, desktop applications, and the Internet. IT Pro is currently available to on-campus users only.
- CIS Online The College Information Service provides a variety of tools and resources to help students plan their educational needs and careers. CIS Online is available to on-campus users only.
Introducing Electronic Reserves
Faculty, provide your students with access to course notes, journal articles, syllabi, and exams 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with Cannell Library's new electronic reserves. Book titles, audiovisual materials, and print copies will still be available to students at the Check-Out desk in the library.
Documents on electronic reserve are password-protected, so access to copyrighted material is limited to students in the class. Once material is scanned into the system, it can remain on file for future use. Please note that copyright applies to electronic materials as well as print, so instructors must seek publisher permission to keep materials on reserve for more than one quarter.
For more information about using electronic reserves please email or call Krista Reichard (x2553).
- If you or your students are having problems connecting to ProQuest from off campus, try this: go to http://www.umi.com/cookiecutter. The information on this page will instruct you how to reset you browser, which should solve the problem.
- Altrusa International of Clark County announces the first annual Library Service Award to honor one outstanding individual employed by a library in Clark County. The nomination deadline is Thursday, Nov. 15. Nomination forms are available at the Cannell Library and other Clark County libraries.
Web Sites Worth a Look: Atlases and Country Studies
- Atlapedia Online Provides country statistics with full color maps (political and physical).
- Library of Congress Country Studies was originally produced as the Country Studies/Area Handbook Program sponsored by the U.S. Department of the Army. This site includes statistics and information for 101 countries and regions of the world in which U.S. forces might be deployed.
- InfoNation View and compare statistics and data for member states of the United Nations. Allows comparison of up to seven countries at a time.
Faculty! Do you have favorite subject-specific web sites that you'd like to have available to your students through the Cannell Library web page? Send us your links and we'll consider adding them to our resources lists.
Selected Titles from the New Book Shelves
- Giovanni Antonio Canal, Known as Canaletto: 1697-1768, by Dorothea Terpitz. (Koln: Konemann, 1998). Call Number: ND 623 .C2 T47 1998
- Censorship, edited by Laura K. Egendorf. (San Diego: Greenhaven Press, 2001). Call Number: Z 675 .C39 2001
- The E-Factor: Building a 24/7, Customer-Centric, Electronic Business for the Internet Age, by Martin T. Focazio. (New York: AMACON, 2001). Call Number: HF 5548.32 .F63 2001
- Like Water on Stone: The Story of Amnesty International, by Jonathan Power. (Boston: Northeastern University Press, 2001). Call Number: JC 571 .P69 2001
- The Oxford Dictionary of Dance, by Debra Craine and Judith Mackrell. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000). Call Number: Ref GV 1585 .C78 2000.
Visit the Cannell Library Web Page for: online catalogs * magazine and journal articles * indexes * newspapers * web resources * hot links * Books in Print * video lists * research guides * and more!
Cannell Chimes Archives Library Home Page Clark Home Page
Rev 11/6/01 We welcome your comments, ideas, or suggestions for this newsletter. email@example.com