735.000 - Student Complaint

The College shall advocate, subscribe to and exemplify high ethical standards in managing and operating the institution. The College shall ensure all student complaints are addressed in a fair and timely manner.


Any student with a complaint or that feels they have been treated unfairly will have the right to be heard fairly and promptly. The College recognizes that disputes may sometimes arise and requires the parties involved to resolve the conflict informally whenever possible. If resolution cannot be reached, a formal complaint process will be provided in order to assure impartial and equitable resolution for those conflicts.

This complaint process may not be invoked for matters that have independent appeal processes established. Examples of these include, but are not limited to Academic Appeals, Academic Standards, Code of Student Conduct, FERPA, Financial Aid, Grades, Title IX, Discrimination and Harassment, and Safety/Parking.  Matters which are not grievable include the following:

  1. Federal and State laws
  2. Administrative Procedures Act (Chapter 34.05 RCW)
  3. Employment and personnel decisions
  4. Policies of the Board of Trustees
  5. Rules and procedures adopted by the State Board for Community and Technical College or the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction

Procedures for Filing a Formal Complaint: (After efforts to resolve informally have been exhausted.) Complaints should be filed as soon as possible or no more than 90 days after the incident occurs. Confirmation that a complaint has been received and is being considered will take place within five regular business days by an appointed College designee. All formal complaints must be made in writing with the approved Clark College Student Formal Complaint form and submitted to the appropriate college employee for resolution as follows:

1. For complaints that are instructional in nature, the following applies:

  • Complaints about a faculty member should be submitted to the faculty member’s Division Chair.
  • Complaints about a staff member within Instruction should be submitted to the employee’s immediate supervisor.
  • Complaints about other issues related to instruction should be first submitted to the appropriate Division Chair.

    Decisions may be appealed with the appropriate Unit Dean for resolution. Decisions rendered by the Unit Dean are considered final and may not be appealed.

2. For complaints that are non-instructional in nature, the following applies:

  • Complaints about college policies, procedures, processes or services should be submitted to the Vice President of Student Affairs’ (SA) Office. The Office of the Vice President of Student Affairs will determine the appropriate departmental follow up for resolution.
  • Complaints about an employee should be first submitted to the employee’s immediate supervisor.
  • Decisions made by the immediate supervisor may be appealed to the appropriate Dean or Director for resolution. Decisions rendered by the Dean or Director are considered final and may not be appealed.

Revised Policy/Procedure Approved by Executive Cabinet
February 5, 2013