Clark College has launched its 75th anniversary with great events covering 75 hours starting on October 1. 

Clark College President Bob Knight and ASCC President Pat Mehigan were among those singing Students, faculty and staff raised their voices in song.
Clark College President Bob Knight (right) and ASCC President Pat Mehigan (center) were among those singing "Happy Birthday." Faculty, students and staff, listened as the Chime Tower rang out then raised their voices in song at 9 a.m. on October 1, 2008.

It began as employees and students gathered at the Clark College Chime Tower. 
They listened as the Chime Tower played "Happy Birthday."  Then they sang
--
as others did the same throughout the college.

 

Clark alum William Farr (left) chats with Clark President Bob Knight The breakfast reception was held in the room which used to be the college library.
William Farr (left), who studied at Clark College when it was at the Hidden House in the 1930s, chats with Clark President Bob Knight. The breakfast reception was held in the room which used to be the college library.

The morning continued with a very special event at the Hidden House in downtown Vancouver, which was the college's first home from 1933-1937.   College officials welcomed William Farr, a Clark alum who attended Clark when it was located at the Hidden House.  Farr, who resides in Hazel Dell, shared stories of his time at Clark included classes taught by legendary names such as Homer Foster and Dean Lewis Cannell.

Faculty emeritus Larry Easter Clark President Bob Knight (left) and Ellis Dunn cut the ribbon to dedicate the new community room.
Faculty emeritus Larry Easter returned to the college to pay tribute Ellis Dunn, who served as a faculty member, dean, vice president and interim president. Clark President Bob Knight and Ellis Dunn (right) cut the ribbon to officially dedicate the new community room.

On the afternoon of October 1, the college honored a beloved figure:  past Interim President Ellis F. Dunn, who also served as a member of the Clark faculty, a dean and vice president of instruction.  For his service to the college and to the community, the college named its new community room in his honor and dedicated the "Ellis F. Dunn Community Room."

Clark College President Bob Knight (right) was among those enjoying birthday cake at the college's 75th anniversary celebration. Nancy Johnson, Gaydena Thompson and Patti Serrano visit
Clark College President Bob Knight (right) was among those enjoying birthday cake at the college's 75th anniversary celebration. Faculty members Nancy Johnson (left) and Patti Serrano (right) visit with faculty emeritus Gaydena Thompson (center).  The Thompson Fitness Center is named in her honor.

The afternoon included birthday cakes and tours of the main campus.

A member of the Clark College Chorale performs ASCC President Pat Mehigan talks about student success from the 1930s through today

A member of the Clark College Chorale performs at the evening gala.

ASCC President Pat Mehigan (right) focuses on student success -- from 1933 through present day.

The evening was a gala event featuring performances by the Clark College Chorale, who sang music from the 1930s through the 50s.  They also wowed the audience by singing (and whistling) the first college song.  "In the Clark Junior College" was written by Larry Rakestraw, the first student to register at Clark College and the student whose wooden penguin became the college's beloved mascot.

 

Oswald leads the way to the Chime Tower lighting Alumni Association members George Welsh (left) and Tony Bacon
Oswald leads the way from the to the Chime Tower lighting. Alumni Association members George Welsh (left) and Tony Bacon savor the special evening.

The audience was escorted outside by Oswald as the One of a Kind Drumline performed.  Then, to the cheers of those gathered, Clark College President Bob Knight and Clark College Alumni Association President George Welsh threw a switch, lighting the tip of the Chime Tower for that night -- and for generations to come.  The lighting was a gift from Welsh, Carol Curtis, and the Alumni Association, which built the Chime Tower in 1964.