English Readiness Assessment
What Is the Readiness Assessment?
English faculty at Clark College have designed a tool for assessing students and placing them into English composition courses. This tool is the Readiness Assessment and is for any student who has not placed via any of the other 13 placement options that are available.
Although this assessment requires students to write a formal response to a text, it is not the sort of exam one can pass or fail. It's really about placing students in the right course--the one that will best ensure success in English and other classes and lead to completion of one's education.
In this assessment, students will be asked to do the following:
- Read a college-level text
- Answer multiple-choice comprehension questions on that text
- Write a formal response to that text
- Write a self-assessment explaining where students think they should be placed and why
- Answer a series of short background questions
For more detailed information about each of the five components above, go to the What to Expect page. Here you also will find:
- Test-taking and writing tips
- An English Assessment FAQ
- Scoring information
- A sample test question and answer
- Sample English course materials
What do I need to do to get started?
Step 1: Set up your Readiness Assessment Account
Students must have a Readiness Assessment account set up at least one (1) day in advance of starting the prep and learning modules to prepare for the assessment. To set up your account, contact:
Gaiser Hall 128
Columbia Tech Center (CTC)
Step 2: Log in to CANVAS
- At www.clark.edu click on Clark Students.
- Click on the CANVAS button.
- Log in using your Student ID number and Password.
- Click on Courses, and ERA will be listed there.
- Click on ERA English Readiness Assessment.
- Complete the pre-test checklist.
- When the system asks for an Access Code, you are ready to test.
- Visit Enrollment Services or CTC to complete the English Readiness Assessment.
NOTE: If you have not signed into CANVAS before, you will need to create a password, as follows:
- Enter your SID#, then click on Forgot Password.
- When prompted, enter your Clark student email address.
- Check your student email for the Reset Password link.
- Reset your password and log into CANVAS.