Grade Legend
Clark College uses the grading symbols listed below. The grades A, B, C, and D may include pluses (+) and minuses (-).

A 4.0   I Incomplete
A- 3.7   N Audit
B+ 3.3   P Pass
B 3.0   S Satisfactory (credit only, no grade points)
B- 2.7   U Unsatisfactory (no credit, no grade points
C+ 2.3   W Official Withdrawal
C 2.0   Y In process / Re-register
C- 1.7      
D+ 1.3      
D 1.0      
D- 0.7      
F 0.0      

Grade Information
Students enrolled in credit classes may obtain grade information approximately eight (8) days after the end of each quarter. Students may access grades at campus computer kiosks, or through the Current Students page by choosing "Unofficial Transcript" or "Student Schedule."

Grade Point Average (GPA)
Grade points are calculated by multiplying the number of credit hours for each course by the decimal grade appropriate for the grade earned. The quarterly GPA is computed by adding the total number of grade points for the quarter and dividing by the total number of credits attempted in courses that received a letter grade.

Credit Hrs. Attempted
Grade Points Earned
B+ = 3.3
C = 2.0
Total Credits   8 Total Grade Points

Dividing 22.5 by 8 computes to a grade point average of 2.81

The student's cumulative grade point average may be obtained by adding the total number of grade points for all quarters and dividing by the total number of credits attempted in the courses that received a letter grade.

Incomplete Grades
An incomplete grade indicates that the student performed at a passing level, completed most of the course requirements, and intends to make up the missing work. Incomplete grades may be assigned at the discretion of the instructor if the student is unable to complete the work because of illness or other circumstances beyond the student's control.


When assigning an incomplete grade, the instructor must provide a date for which the work must be completed, and the grade that will be entered on the student's transcript if the work is not finished on time. The incomplete grade remains on the student's transcript until the specified date or until the student completes the required work and the instructor submits an amended grade to the Registration Office.

In Process/Re-register
Students enrolled in variable credit or continuous enrollment courses may be given a "Y" grade if their effort is not sufficient to grant one (1) credit. Students must re-register and pay tuition to continue the course. A "Y" grade may also be used for courses which last more than one (1) quarter.

Pass/No Pass
Students may request to enroll in certain courses on a pass/no pass basis. Students must contact the Registration Office for information about courses approved for this option.


No more than thirty (30) credits taken for pass/no pass will be allowed toward the Associate in Arts degree, Associate in Science degree or the Associate in Applied Science degree. Students must earn a grade of "C" or better (2.00 GPA) to be given a "Satisfactory" grade in a pass/no pass course. An "Unsatisfactory" grade will be posted for students earning less than a "C" grade. Students planning to transfer to another college or university should contact that institution to determine whether it accepts pass/no pass grades.


Students can get approval to change a course to pass/no pass by having the instructor of the class sign, date and initial a Change of Registration Form and submitting it to the Registation Office with photo ID.

Repeating a Course
Courses may be repeated to improve a grade earned, but credit will be granted only once. Students who repeat a class should submit to the Registration Office a Notification of Repeated Class Request form. Once the repeat has been processed, the letter "R" will be placed next to the first grade on the student's transcript to indicate the class has been repeated, and only the most recent grade earned will be calculated into the grade point average. No courses may be repeated more than twice (defined as two repeats in addition to original enrollment).


Students who plan to transfer to another institution should be aware that their GPAs might be recomputed by that institution; repeated courses will be received in accordance with the institution's own requirements and policies. Students receiving financial aid or veterans benefits, or those participating in athletics, should consult those offices prior to repeating a course. Benefits or eligibility may be reduced or lost due to course repetition.

Setting Aside Past Record
Qualified students may request to set aside a previous substandard academic record if they feel it does not reflect their true ability at Clark College. Only the Clark College record can be set aside; the college cannot set aside records from other colleges.


Setting aside does not expunge the previous record, but places a "set aside" notation on the student's transcript, marking the term from which the college will calculate a GPA for determining probation, eligibility, or honors at graduation. Students may not count set aside credits to fulfill requirements for graduation. Students should understand that the set record will apply to the quarter they indicate to be set aside and all quarters before it.

Students may set aside a previous record if:

You may print a Set-Aside Past Record Petition Form or get one at the Registration Office in Gaiser Hall.

Caution: Although Clark College makes provisions for setting aside past records, students should not assume that other colleges to which they transfer will compute the GPA in the same manner.

Grade Change/Error
A students who believes he or she received an incorrect grade for a class should contact the instructor of the class. Grade changes are made at the discretion of the instructor. A "Change of Grade Form" must be signed and submitted to the Registration Office by the instructor. Grade changes and corrections made for veterans and financial aid recipients must also be reported to the Office of Veterans Affairs and/or the Financial Aid Office.

Grade changes must be made no later than the end of the second quarter following the quarter the student attended the class.

Grade Change/Appeal Policy
An academic appeal refers to a claim by a student that a specific grade assigned by the instructor is the result of an arbitrary or capricious application of otherwise valid standards of academic evaluation, or to a student's claim that the instructor has made an arbitrary or capricious decision, or taken an arbitrary or capricious action which adversely affects the student's academic standing.

The student must file a written complaint within ninety (90) calendar days after the end of the course. The appropriate instructional dean or supervisor may suspend this rule only under exceptional circumstances such as extended illness, sabbatical leave, or absence of one or both parties involved in the complaint. Grade appeal process forms are available through instructional deans' offices or the Office of Instruction.

Students having complaints relative to academic performance evaluation should follow the steps below:

Step 1: The student should complete a grade appeal process form and discuss the complaint with the instructor. If the complaint is not resolved, proceed to Step 2.

Step 2: The student should speak to the appropriate division chair. The division chair must notify the student within fifteen (15) working days of the resolution after the meeting with the student. If the student is not satisfied with the resolution, the student should proceed to Step 3.

Step 3: The student will provide a written statement describing the nature of the appeal to the instructional dean or supervisor. A meeting will then be scheduled with the student, the instructional dean or supervisor, and the instructor to discuss the appeal. The instructor will receive a copy of the student's written material prior to the meeting. A decision by the dean or supervisor will be made within fifteen (15) days of the meeting. The decision by the dean or supervisor will be final and cannot be appealed further.