Credit Options


Credit Maximum


You may register for 1 to 20 credits per quarter. If you wish to exceed 20 credits, you must meet with an Advisor. Contact the Advising Office for more information.

Variable Credits

A "variable credit" course allows you to register for all or some of the amount of credits listed for the class. For example, if the Class Schedule lists a credit range of 1-3, it means you may take the class for 1, 2 or 3 credits. You will be charged for the number of credits for which you register, and you will receive credit for the amount of work you complete.

In subsequent quarters, you may register for the class again and pay for the remaining credits needed to complete the course.


Changing Credits Online


When you register for a variable credit class, you are automatically enrolled for the maximum number of credits allowed for the class. To reduce the number of credits in which you are enrolled, log in to the Current Students page and select "Web Registration."


Your schedule will show on the page with a button below it that reads "Change Credits."


  1. Click the "Change Credits" button beneath your class schedule.
  2. The variable credit classes in which you are registered will appear in a pop-up window.
  3. In the credit field, change the number to the number of credits you want. For example, change 5.0 to 3.0. (You may not register for zero, half or partial credits; for example, 0, 3.5 or 4.2.)
  4. Click OK.
  5. Verify your class schedule on the page.


Auditing a Class

You may enroll in a course on an audit basis with instructor permission and upon payment of regular tuition and fees. You are exempt from examinations and do not receive college credit; however, the instructor may require reasonable attendance and class participation. To change from credit to audit or audit to credit, you must submit a Change of Registration Form at the Registration Office with photo ID. Such changes may be made only with the written consent of the instructor and must be processed by the end of the 10th day of the quarter (8th day summer).

Pass/No Pass (Credit Only, No Grade)

Certain courses may be graded as pass/no pass. If you plan to transfer to another college or a university, you should determine the policy of that school regarding the acceptance of this grade before choosing this option at Clark. A "pass" grade ("S") is granted only if you pass the subject with a satisfactory grade of "C" or better. This option is not available for courses being repeated or for classes required for a degree or certificate.

To change a class to pass/no pass, obtain the instructor's signature, and in some cases the instructional dean's signature, on a Change of Registration Form. Submit the signed form to the Registration Office with photo ID by the end of the eighth week of the quarter.

Non-Traditional Programs

Read about Non-Traditional Credit Programs for information on applying non-traditional credit toward a degree. Contact the Credential Evaluations Office if you have questions.