World Languages–World Languages Abroad
2012 summer trips will be to Quebec and Japan. For general information on international studies and other study abroad opportunities, please see the international studies web area.
French– French Professor Doug Mrazek has led French Study Tours since 2000. In alternate years, the group visits Quebec province and studies at the University of Quebec in Chicoutimi. Prerequisite: French 122 or consent of department. To find out more, contact Professor Mrazek at firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-992-2165.
German– German Professor Julian Nelson is Director of the German Studies in Berlin program which leads a group to Berlin, Germany every other summer. He can be reached at email@example.com or 360-992-2280.
Japanese– Professor Michiyo Okuhara leads a trip to study Japanese culture and language, visiting
cities such as Tokyo, Kyoto, and Joyo, Vancouver's sister city. For more information,
please contact Professor Okuhara at firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-992-2455.
Spanish– For more information about the summer program led by Spanish Professor Erika Nava, visit the website. You can also contact her at email@example.com or 360- 992-2172. Professor Elizabeth Ubiergo is another good source for information. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-992-2977.
Information Request Form
In order to provide you with the best information possible, please fill out the entire form. Additional Information
Would you like information on the following? Check all that apply.
Classes emphasize learning strategies that are necessary to communicate in the real world. Language clubs provide active support and opportunities for using the language ranging from film series and round-table discussion groups to field trips and cultural presentations.
Students who intend to major in a world language at a four-year institution should consider two years of study in one language. Clark offers two-year programs (elementary, intermediate) in the following areas:
Summer Study Abroad for Language Students
The departments provide the following language and cultural opportunities:
- French Study Abroad opportunity
- German immersion/study every summer with the German Studies in Berlin program
- Spanish immersion/study at the University of Valladolid in Valladolid, Spain
- Japanese immersion/study at Tokyo Institute of Japanese in Tokyo and visiting Kyoto and Joyo
Other Study Abroad
Clark College is a member of the Washington Community College Consortium for Study Abroad (WCCCSA), which offers term-long programs in London, England; Paris, France; Florence, Italy; and Alajuela, Costa Rica. Contact an advisor in the International Center for more information.
- Participate in most formal and informal conversations on general topics in ASL.
- Analyze the Deaf culture and American Sign Language, with an appreciation for the linguistic and cultural diversity.
- Manage common interactions using enhanced vocabulary and grammar with fellow classmate using ASL.
- Identify the rules of behavior, values, beliefs and etiquette of Deaf culture.