Prospective Students     |    Current Students

International Studies - Working in the U.S.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has very strict regulations for international student employment. F-1 students who are in status may work part-time on the Clark College campus only. Getting a job and receiving payment at any location off campus is a serious violation of your status. You are not allowed to work off campus unless you have special permission.

In most cases, international students who are in either F-1 or M-1 status can work on campus 20 hours per week during the academic year and 40 hours per week during designated vacation periods.

Please talk to your International Student Advisor if you want to find an on-campus job. She will talk with you about the steps to follow to look for a job. She will give you the information you need to apply for a U.S. Social Security number which you must have to work.

All international students are required to file a U.S. tax form each year. Forms for the prior year are due by April 15 the following year. For example, for the year 2011 you are required to file your tax form by April 15, 2012.

If you are not working in the United States during the year, you should complete Form 8843.

If you work in the United States during the year, you must file Form 1040NR-EZ or 1040NR.

Complete the appropriate form, make a photocopy for your records and mail the original to the recommended address on the form.

If you need help understanding either of these forms, you may bring your passport (and W-2 form if you were employed during the year) to the Office of International Programs for assistance.

The following website is very useful if you have questions or need to download the forms: It is written for international students.

View page in Arabic View page in Spanish View page in Korean View page in Chinese View page in Japanese View page in Vietnamese View page in Chinese Simple View page in Portuguese