Prospective Students     |    Current Students

International Studies - Travel Tips

Many students leave the US to travel to their own or to other countries during their stay here, especially during summer vacations. If you plan to take such a trip, you need to visit your International Student Advisor several working days in advance of your departure and make arrangements to get the necessary papers before you leave. The following checklist may be helpful as you plan your trip. If you are planning to travel to Canada or Mexico, please check U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to see if you need a visitor’s visa to enter these countries

Be sure you have these documents with you when you travel:

  • Permission signature from Designated School Official (DSO) on page three of your I-20. Signature must be dated within the last six months.

  • Valid passport
  • Valid I-94 card (you will receive a new card when you re-enter the U.S.
  • F-1 or M-1 visa
  • Proof that you are a student at Clark College (photocopy of registration, previous semester grades, letter from your International Student Advisor stating your reason for traveling and when you will return to resume your studies.)
  • A round-trip airline ticket

If your visa has expired, you may need to visit the U.S. Embassy in your home country before returning to the U.S. Please check with your International Student Advisor.

Note: Travel outside the U.S. after program completion while you are awaiting your OPT approval is not recommended. See your advisor for details.

Entering Canada and Re-entry into the United States
American visitors crossing the border, either way, need to verify their citizenship with a passport. Naturalized U.S. citizens should carry a naturalization certificate. Permanent U.S. residents who are not U.S. citizens are advised to bring their "green card". For citizens of certain countries, Canada requires a visitor’s visa (see website below) to be obtained from their nearest Canadian Consulate before entry into Canada. Travelers should check to see if this is required before their trip. To the best of our knowledge, this information is current. Though, it would be a good idea to call the Canadian Consulate ahead of your visit to make sure there has not been a change in procedures.

The nearest Canadian Consulate is in Seattle, Washington. The address is:

Seattle Canadian Consulate
412 Plaza 600 Bldg.
Seattle, WA 98101-1286
Telephone Number: 206-443-1777
Fax Number: 206-443-9735

Re-Entry into the United States:
F-1 or M-1 visa holders who visit Canada for less than 30 days and who have maintained a lawful non-immigrant status in the U.S. and intend to resume that status upon their return must keep the Form I-94 (small white card known as arrival/departure record) in their passport when crossing the border and present it as one of the documents required for re-entry to the U.S. Upon return to the U.S., the I-94 form, a valid I-20 (either a new one or a properly endorsed I-20) and passport are shown to the U.S Immigration Inspector. Since the inspector may still ask to see evidence of financial support for the total stay in the U.S., it is strongly advised that F-1 or M-1 visa holders carry such evidence with them.

View page in Arabic View page in Spanish View page in Korean View page in Chinese View page in Japanese View page in Vietnamese View page in Chinese Simple View page in Portuguese