The Medical Assistant Program is a four-quarter program that prepares students for both front office clerical and back office clinical medical assistant responsibilities. You may take additional required courses to obtain an Associate Degree. The program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). Applications for admission to the program will be accepted and
considered on a continuous basis.
Applicants must be graduates of an accredited high school or the equivalent.
To meet preliminary entrance requirements, you must:
- Complete the Clark College Application for Admission and return it to the Advising Office.
- Complete and return the Medical Assistant Program Application and return it to the Advising Office.
- Complete placement testing with an ASSET score of 41 on each the Writing Skills, Reading Skills and Math Skills tests; or take basic skills courses to get to those levels.
- Submit transcripts of all colleges attended.
- Obtain a complete physical to verify proof of fitness. Contact the Health Services Center at Clark or a personal physician for the physical. Submit physical results to the Medical Office Technology program office.
In order to progress from one course or quarter to the next, after beginning the program, you must:
- Test out of Keyboarding (BTEC 101 or 190) and Spelling Skills (BTEC 082) or take the Keyboarding and Spelling Skills courses.
- Take sequentially numbered courses in order. Note: Some courses are offered only during one specific quarter each year.
- Complete all program courses with a minimum grade of "C" or better.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Not repeat any required program course more than once.
- Provide proof of all required immunizations before registering for Medical Assistant Clinical Procedures I (BTEC 163).
- Complete or take concurrently all Medical Assistant Program courses before registering for Medical Assistant Directed Practice (BTEC 166).
If you are interested in the Medical Assistant (4-quarter) program, you should contact the Business Technology advisor for career advising, application information, and academic guidance.
To receive further information, please visit the Medical Assistant (4-quarter)program.