The Office of International Programs offers assistance to international students when arranging for housing while they attend Clark College. All students are encouraged to live with a host family when they first arrive unless they already have friends or family in the area. There are three housing options listed below:
ANDEO (Host Families)
Students have the opportunity to live with host families that are arranged through a local non-profit organization called ANDEO. A homestay is a unique opportunity to practice English, learn about U.S. culture and family life and share your own culture. All ANDEO homestays include:
- Airport pickup from Portland International Airport (PDX)
- A carefully screened family that is ready to welcome you into their home and include you in their daily lives
- A comfortable room with access to a study area
- All meals (self-serve breakfast and lunch, dinner with family)
- Easy access to public transportation. The average bus commute is 30 to 45 minutes
- Information about your host family prior to departure
- Orientation materials
- ANDEO staff members who are always available to help you make the most of your homestay experience
Cost Per Term: $2,250
Placement Fee: $300 (non-refundable)
To apply for a homestay please send contact ANDEO after you are accepted to Clark College and at least 45 days prior to your arrival. You must be at least 18 years old to participate in a homestay program. For more information about ANDEO homestays, visit http://www.andeo.org/homestays-usa.html or contact ANDEO at 503-274-1776 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
House Sharing (Rooms for Rent)
Some families in the community are interested in renting a room in their home to an international student. If you are interested in this type of housing arrangement, contact the Office of International Programs to see if we know of anyone who is interested in sharing a house.
Apartments for Rent
There are many apartment buildings near campus and in the Vancouver community on the local bus line. There are many ways to find an apartment:
- Contact the Office of International Programs for a list of apartments
- Check the local newspaper: The Columbian – Vancouver, select rentals
- Check the Housing bulletin board near the Dining Hall at Clark College
- Ask other students
- Search online at websites like Craigslist (please use caution)
Rental costs range from $400 per month to $800 depending on location, number of bedrooms and amenities. In addition to the monthly rental fee, a student must also consider the additional costs of renting an apartment. Some apartments will require you to pay for your own electricity, water and sewer bills. Also, most apartments are unfurnished so you must figure the cost of obtaining furniture and household items into the initial cost of your apartment.
Once you have found a suitable apartment be sure to do the following:
- Be prepared to pay an application fee for a non-refundable credit check.
- Read the rental agreement and do not sign it if there is something you do not understand.
- Find out how much the security deposit is.
- Find out how much the monthly rent will be and when it is due.
- Is there a grace period if you do not have the rent money on the exact day? Are there penalties?
- Will you have to pay for your own water and sewer or is it included in the rent?
- Will you have to pay your own electricity?
- What about garbage pick-up?
- Are there any other monthly charges?
- Will you need to get cable television or is it included?
- Are pets allowed?
- When you move in, be sure to inspect each room carefully. Write down anything that needs repair. They should give you a checklist for this. Be sure to get a signed copy of the checklist.
- When you pay the rent, pay by check. If you pay in cash, be sure to get a receipt.