Section A: Enrollment, Aid and College Life



You’ve submitted your application. You’re ready to take the next step and register for classes. At Clark College, we offer registration online and in person at Enrollment Services, located in Gaiser Hall. If you are a new or transfer student, you will be emailed information regarding orientation, meeting with an advisor, and registering for classes after completing an application for admission and submitting it to Enrollment Services.

After your first term of attendance at Clark College, your registration access date/time can be found online prior to the beginning of the registration period for each term. A notification will be emailed to your Clark College email address to let you know when registration access dates/times will be posted online each term.

Continuing student registration access dates/times are based on cumulative credits earned.

Priority registration access is given to eligible veterans under HB 1109. Qualifying students will receive access to registration services approximately one week prior to the continuing student population. Students approved for registration accommodation due to disability will also register during this time period.

Specific information on dates, deadlines, and hours of service can be found on the Clark College website at

Online Registration Services

The following services are available online for current Clark College students:

  • Enrollment verification
  • Change of address
  • Registration access date/time
  • Online registration
  • Student global PIN change
  • Student schedule
  • Unofficial transcript
  • Waitlist inquiry
  • Degree audit (online degree audit)

You may conveniently enroll online each term by taking advantage of online registration. You will need your SID (student identification number) and your global PIN.  Printing your class schedule and changing your address, phone, or e-mail are other convenient options available online at

Registration Policies

Credit Maximum

Students may register online or in person for 0-20 credits. Students who wish to add excess credits (i.e., 21 or more) must make an appointment and obtain written permission from an advisor or counselor to register over the credit maximum.

Late Registration Policy

Beginning the third (3rd) day of the term, instructor permission is required to enroll into any regular starting class. Beginning the tenth (10th) day of the term (eighth day in summer), students are also required to submit a late registration petition with the instructor’s signature to enroll. The Late Registration Petition form is available at the Registration Office. Exception: Late starting classes, section changes, and level changes.

Students who register after the tenth (10th) day of the term (eighth day in summer) will be charged a $50 per-class Late Registration Fee. A student whose enrollment change falls under the following circumstances will not be charged:

First Week Attendance Policy

It is essential that students attend the first class meeting of their courses. If a student is unable to attend due to an emergency or conflict of a serious nature, he or she should contact the instructor. If the instructor is not designated in the class schedule, the student should contact either the Division Office or the Office of Instruction, which will direct the student appropriately. Students who fail to attend one (1) or more sessions during the first five (5) days of the term may be dropped from the class. Students who miss any classes during the first five (5) days are responsible for verifying their enrollment status.

Note: Students dropped by the college during the first five (5) days of the term will receive a full refund of tuition and fees, if due.

Dropping a Class and Withdrawal from the College

Students who find it necessary to withdraw from classes must do so formally. The withdrawal process can be completed online at or in person using a Change of Registration form at the Enrollment Services Office. The dates for dropping and/or withdrawing from classes are available at

Administrative Withdrawal

Students unable to withdraw by the end of the term due to extenuating circumstances should contact the Enrollment Services Office for information on requesting an Administrative Withdrawal.

Auditing a Class

Any student may enroll in a course on an audit basis with instructor’s written consent and upon payment of the regular tuition and fees. Audit students will be exempt from examinations and will not receive college credit; however, the instructor may require reasonable attendance and class participation. To change from credit to audit or audit to credit, the student must complete a Change of Registration form at the Enrollment Services Office. Such changes may be made only with the written consent of the instructor and must be processed by the end of the tenth (10th) day of the term (eighth day in summer).

Student Attendance Status

Clark College considers students enrolled in twelve (12) or more credits to be full-time students. The definition of “full-time student,” however, may vary for certain agencies, such as Veterans Services, Financial Aid, Social Security, and insurance companies. Student attendance status for Financial Aid and MGIB GI Bill Chapters 30, 31, 35, 1606, 1607, is as follows:

Financial Aid

Full-time student 12 credit hours
Three-quarter-time student 9-11 credit hours
Half-time student 6-8 credit hours
Less than half-time student 1-5 credit hours

GI Bill attendance status for fall, winter and spring terms

Full-time student 12 credit hours
Three-quarter-time student 9-11 credit hours
Half-time student 6-8 credit hours

GI Bill attendance status for summer term

Full-time student 8 credit hours
Three-quarter-time student 6-7 credit hours
Half-time student 4-5 credit hours
Less than half-time 3 credits or less

Post 9/11 GI Bill Student Attendance Status

Post 9/11 GI Bill calculated at Rate of Pursuit. Students must be enrolled at more than half-time to receive their expected BAH. 


Students are expected to attend classes in which they are enrolled. Attendance may be a factor in grading for a course. When unavoidable absence occurs, it is the obligation of the student to notify the instructor and arrange for the make-up work deemed necessary by the instructor.

A member of the Washington National Guard or any other military reserve component who misses any form of participation/attendance in a class due to being ordered to service for 30 days or less, or requiring medical treatment for that service, is entitled to make up academic assignments without prejudice to the final course grade or evaluation. Documentation must be submitted prior to absence. Contact the Veterans Affairs Office for information.

Change of Address

To ensure receipt of important information, students must notify the college of any change of address. Offices that should be informed include Admissions, Financial Aid, and Registration. Student Update forms are available at the Enrollment Services Office and online at

Tuition and Fees

The first payment due date is three (3) weeks prior to the term start date. Students who register Saturday through Friday must pay tuition and fees on the following Monday by 5:00 p.m. If a holiday falls on Monday, payment is due that Tuesday by 5:00 p.m. Students who register after the tenth (10th) day of the term must pay tuition by the end of the business day. Students receiving financial aid, scholarship, agency, or veterans benefits are responsible for paying outstanding tuition and fees by the tuition due date when aid is insufficient to cover the total cost. The Business Office will send email notification to students who owe tuition and fees. The amount due is also listed on the student’s registration schedule.

Students who do not pay tuition and fees will be dropped from their classes unless:

It is the responsibility of the student to officially withdraw from classes if they are unable to pay tuition and fees. A 100% refund will be issued through the fifth (5th) business day of each term.

Students with any outstanding debt owed to the college will:

Matriculation and Facilities/On-Campus Parking Fee*

Students are charged per credit hour to a maximum of twenty (20) hours for matriculation and facilities/on-campus parking.

Technology Fee*

Students are charged per credit hour to a maximum of twenty (20) hours for technology such as computer software, computer replacement, and technical lab assistance to maintain open computer labs. Other examples of technology available to students are online registration and student kiosks, and online services featured on the Clark College website.

*These fees are refundable on the same basis as tuition.

Additional Fees

Some courses may require payment of lab or course fees in addition to or instead of tuition. These fees help the college defray expenses not funded by the state. Fees are used for specific course expenses such as breakage, hazardous waste management, consumable supplies, special materials, minor repairs, and materials that become the property of the student.

Textbooks and Supplies

The Clark College Bookstore stocks required textbooks and supplies as requested by classroom instructors. Also available are many supportive suggested materials to assist the student’s class preparation and participation. The store staff understands the financial impact of class materials, and thus provides the lowest prices for new textbooks of any college in this region and diligently pursues and stocks as many used textbooks as possible, partly supplied from a student book buyback program. In addition, the store offers a number of other affordability services for Clark students, such as textbook and calculator rentals, hold services, peer-to-peer exchange and much more. To obtain current book and supply lists and receive assistance in cost estimating, please visit the Clark College Bookstore on the main Clark College campus or visit its website at

Financial Obligations of the Student

Students are expected to meet their financial obligations to the college. Clark College staff will act in accordance with adopted procedures and, if necessary, initiate legal action to ensure that collection matters are brought to a timely and satisfactory conclusion. Collection fees will be added to debts owed the college.

Admission to or registration with Clark College, or issuance of academic transcripts, and other college services, will be withheld for failure to meet financial obligations.

Refund Policy

A student who officially withdraws through the Enrollment Services Office may receive a refund of tuition and certain fees. The complete Refund Policy is printed in the college information section of this catalog and is available online at

Students who believe extenuating circumstances justify an exception to the policy may make a formal request at the Enrollment Services Office. Exceptions may be granted for extreme, extenuating, urgent, and unavoidable circumstances that prevent a student from withdrawing within the established guidelines. Students receiving Financial Aid may not qualify for exceptions to the refund policy due to federal financial aid guidelines.

Grades and Records

Grade Legend

Clark College uses the grading symbols listed below. The grades A, B, C, and D may include pluses (+) and minuses (-).

A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7
F 0.0
I Incomplete
N Audit
P Pass
S Satisfactory (credit only, no grade points)
U Unsatisfactory (no credit, no grade points)
W Official withdrawal
Y In process/re-register

Transfer of Grades

The grades assigned in transferable courses by the sending institution shall not be altered by the receiving institution. Courses completed with a grade of "D" or above shall normally be accepted in transfer (except at The Evergreen State College, where a minimum of 2.0 or "C" is required for transfer). Nontraditional grading practices require special handling, depending on the nature and circumstances of the program from which and to which a student is transferring, but receiving institutions shall take steps to assure all students equitable treatment.

Grade Information

Students enrolled in credit classes may obtain grade information approximately eight (8) days after the end of each term. Students may access grades at a college student information kiosk or through the Clark College website:

Grade Point Average (GPA)

Grade points are calculated by multiplying the number of credit hours for each course by the decimal grade appropriate for the grade earned. The term GPA is computed by adding the total number of grade points for the term and dividing by the total number of credits attempted in courses that received a letter grade.

Credit Hrs Attempted Grade Grade Points Earned
5 B+ = 3.3 16.5
3 C = 2.0 6.0
8 Total Credits   22.5 Total Grade Points

Dividing 22.5 by 8 computes to a grade point average of 2.81.

The student’s cumulative grade point average may be obtained by adding the total number of grade points for all terms and dividing by the total number of credits attempted in the courses that received a letter grade.

Incomplete Grades

An incomplete grade may be given if the instructor is satisfied that unavoidable circumstances have prevented the student from completing the course work and the student has requested this option.  Faculty must submit the Memorandum of Incomplete Work to Enrollment Services by the grading deadline.

When assigning an incomplete grade, the instructor must provide a date for which the work must be compelted, and the grade that will be entered on the student's transcript if the work is not finished on time.  The incomplete grade remains on the student's transcript until the specified date, or until the student completes the required work and the instructor submits an amended grade to the Enrollment Services office.

Incomplete grades can also effect Financial Aid funding, please refer to the Satisfactory Progress Policy at 

In Process/Re-register

Students enrolled in variable credit or continuous enrollment courses may be given a “Y” grade if their effort is not sufficient to grant one (1) credit. Students must re-register and pay tuition to continue the course. A “Y” grade may also be used for courses which last more than one (1) term.

Pass/No Pass

Students may request to enroll in certain courses on a pass/no pass (PNP) basis. Students must contact the Enrollment Services Office for information about courses approved for this option. No more than sixty (60) credits taken for pass/no pass will be allowed toward the Associate in Arts degree, Associate in Science degree, the Associate in Applied Science degree, or the Associate in Applied Technology degree. Students must earn a grade of “C” or better (2.00 GPA) to be given a “Satisfactory” grade in a pass/no pass course. An “Unsatisfactory” grade will be posted for students earning less than a “C” grade. Students planning to transfer to a university should contact that institution to determine their policy for acceptance of pass/no pass courses.

Repeating a Course

Some courses may be repeated to improve a grade earned, but credit will be granted only once. When students notify the Enrollment Services Office that a course has been repeated, the symbol “R” will be placed next to the first grade, and only the last grade earned will be used in calculating the grade point average. No courses may be repeated more than twice (defined as two repeats in addition to the original enrollment). The Clark College repeat policy does not apply to transfer coursework. Transfer coursework is not included in the Clark College GPA calculation and is not included in honors designation.

Students who plan to transfer to another institution should be aware that their GPA might be recomputed. Repeated courses will be received in accordance with the institution’s own requirements and policies. Students receiving financial aid or veterans benefits, or those participating in athletics, should consult those offices prior to repeating a course. Benefits or eligibility may be reduced or lost due to course repetition.

Setting Aside Past Record

Qualified students may set aside a previous substandard academic record that does not reflect their true ability at Clark College. Setting aside does not expunge the previous record, but places a “set aside” notation on the student’s transcript, marking the term from which the college will calculate a new GPA for determining probation, eligibility, or honors at graduation. Students may not count credits set aside to fulfill credit requirements for graduation. Students should understand that the record to be set aside includes all courses taken before the date selected by the student, and those courses may not be used to satisfy future course prerequisites.

Students may set aside a previous record if:

Petition forms are available at the Enrollment Services Office in Gaiser Hall.

Caution: Although Clark College makes provisions for setting aside past records, students should not assume that other colleges to which they transfer will compute their GPA in the same manner. Only the Clark College record can be set aside; the college cannot set aside records from other colleges. Financial aid students will still be subject to federal regulations that require all attempted credits be counted toward completion of an initial degree.

Grade Change/Error

Students who believe an error has been made in recording their grades should contact the Enrollment Services Office. If a recording error has been made, it will be corrected. If an error was not made when grades were posted, the student should contact the instructor. Grade changes are made at the discretion of the instructor. A “Change of Grade Form” must be signed and submitted to the Enrollment Services Office by the instructor. Grade changes and corrections made for veterans and financial aid recipients must also be reported to the Office of Veterans Affairs and/or the Financial Aid Office.

Grade changes must be made no later than the end of the second term following the term the student attended the class.

Grade Change/Academic Appeal Policy

An academic appeal refers to a claim by a student that a specific grade assigned to the student by an instructor is the result of an arbitrary or capricious application of otherwise valid standards of academic evaluation, or to a student’s claim that the instructor has made an arbitrary or capricious decision or taken an arbitrary or capricious action which adversely affects the student’s academic standing.

The student must file a written complaint within ninety (90) calendar days after termination of the course. The appropriate instructional dean or supervisor may suspend this rule only under exceptional circumstances such as extended illness, sabbatical leave, or absence of one or both parties involved in the complaint. Grade appeal process forms are available through the instructional deans’ offices or the Office of Instruction.

Students having complaints relative to academic performance evaluation should follow the steps below:

Step 1: The student should complete a grade appeal process form and discuss the complaint with the instructor. If the complaint is not resolved, proceed to Step 2.

Step 2: The student should speak to the appropriate division chair. The division chair must notify the student within fifteen (15) working days of the resolution after the meeting with the student. If the student is not satisfied with the resolution, the student should proceed to Step 3.

Step 3: The student will provide a written statement describing the nature of the appeal to the instructional dean or supervisor. A meeting will then be scheduled with the student, the instructional dean or supervisor, and the instructor to discuss the appeal. The instructor will receive a copy of the student’s written material prior to the meeting. A decision by the dean or supervisor will be made within fifteen (15) days of the meeting. The decision by the dean or supervisor will be final and cannot be appealed further.

Confidentiality of Records

Clark College has adopted procedures in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) as amended, and maintains confidentiality of student records. College employees are trained to comply with information release guidelines.

With few exceptions, parties outside of school officials will not have access to student records without the written consent of the student. Clark College will not release a student’s record to a parent/ guardian without the student’s written request. This policy is in effect regardless of the student’s age or financial dependency upon the parent or guardian. The college may release student directory information without student consent. Directory information includes student name, student address, student e-mail, date of birth, major field of study, terms of attendance, degrees and awards received, participation in activities and sports, and weight and height of members of athletic teams. Additional information regarding FERPA is found in Section G of this catalog. In compliance with state law (SB5509), Clark College no longer uses the student’s Social Security number for the purpose of student identification. This law is intended to add additional protection to the student’s identity.

The college will assign all students a Student Identification number (SID). Students are required to use their assigned SID to access their records, register for classes, pay tuition, etc. For a copy of SB5509 or for additional information regarding this process, you may contact the Enrollment Services Office.


A transcript of each student’s educational record is maintained in the Enrollment Services Office. An official transcript is signed by the Registrar, has the college seal attached and is provided in a sealed envelope. To obtain an official transcript, students should go online to to place an order. Transcripts will be mailed to any college, university or other agency upon receipt of the request within seven (7) business days. There is also a rush transcript option available. There is a fee for all official transcripts. For current fee information please go to our website or call 360-992-2287. Transcripts will not be faxed.

Students may obtain an unofficial transcript through the Clark College website,; at student information kiosks; or by visiting the Enrollment Services Office in Gaiser Hall.

Vice President’s List

A Vice President’s List will be compiled at the end of each academic term to recognize outstanding student achievement at Clark College. To qualify for the list, a student must earn at least twelve (12) credits of graded course work and a GPA of 3.75 or higher. The credits from courses in which a student receives an “I,” “S,” or “Y” will not count toward the twelve (12) credit minimum. Students who qualify for the list will receive a congratulatory letter from the Vice President of Instruction and a notation will be made on the student’s transcript.